• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Is it bad to lay on ur left side? Its causin me strong pain&heaviness in my heart

Khadijah

Bluelight Crew
I aint sure if this belong in here or in SO, but I was thinkin it might fit in better in here. Anyways, for the longest time i been gettin this pain in my chest from sleepin on my left side. It started maybe 4 or so yrs ago when i would go to sleep and lay on my left side after doin alot of opiates at the time when my habit was really startin to pop off.

I would really experience it really strong esp. after high doses of methadone or heroin. i would wake up and feel like there is like a million pound weight on my heart crushing the left side of my chest. like there is a vise grip on my heart. but about a year or so ago i started to just feel it all the time unrelated to any drugs I was on. I AM on methadone daily now, but it only ever use to come when i did a extra big dose and now its just all the time. These days, I really cant sleep on my left side no more, or even LAY on it for like 10 minutes without feelin this heavy ass pressure and pain in my heart on the left side of my chest.

I was talkin to my man and he told me he been readin a lil, becuz he been gettin this too for a while now. He said he read that sleepin and layin on your left side can be bad for your heart. I aint sure about that it seems crazy becuz how many millions of ppl sleep on their left side. But maybe it got some truth to it, IDK. just for the record im a ex cig smoker (dont smoke nothing else) i quit about a month ago and before i quit i had been smokin only 2-3 cigs a day for a few months before that.

Anyways, I was just curious if anybody else ever felt this too? I figure since my man also does that it aint too uncommon. I aint askin "hey, wats wrong with me guise? Give me a diagnosis plz!" like alot of ppl do when they got somethin bothering them health wise. I am just more curious about this feelin in general and the things that might cause it and if its bad or not.

My real purpose of this thread is to ask if anybody else ever felt this before and Is it really actually unhealthy to sleep on the left side, is it true that doing that is puttin extra pressure n weight on your heart and makin it have to stress out and work harder? and also--I obviously try n avoid sleepin on my left side these days but sometimes I roll over on accident. It it one of those things that i should just avoid becuz it makes me uncomfortable, or i should avoid it becuz its actually dangerous and bad for me? Any thoughts yall got on this would be nice to hear, since I got no idea. I was layin KINDA on my left, not even all the way on that side, last night, and i woke up 4 hours ago and i still feel this strain, tight, heavy feeling in my chest over my heart.

Guys i just want to know about if lying on your left side is bad. You cant diagnose me thru a computer, u aint got no way of knowing the deal and sayin it sounds like this or that is kinda silly as much as i appreciate u posting .:) Im just curious in general becuz i have heard it a few times from different ppl that it aint healthy to lay on your left side becuz it puts extra strain on ur heart, and was wonderin if thats really true , becuz if it is, it seems like a good reason for me to be feelin this way. But like i said--yall aint doctors, and without knowin my history and none of the rest of it, its impossible for someone to say oh it sounds like this or that, u know? Im just interested in learnin if this left side laying thing is just a myth or if its actually unhealthy. but thanks for the posts tho, i aint sayin nothing bad and Im glad u cared enough to answer like I said dont take it the wrong way.:)

I've got a heart murmer and sometimes it bothers me if I lay on my left side or even on my back, so yeah.

I don't think it's dangerous or anything, just a heavy feeling... I imagine my blood pooling up in one of the ventricles is the cause, but I'm not sure. My doctor said it was nothing to worry about.

I usually lay on my right side which is a simple enough fix.

There is nothing inherently unhealthy about lying on your left side. It doesn't matter what your sleep position is as long as it is comfortable for you. Lacy... I sleep on both sides and it gets uncomfortable for me laying on my left or right side for too long. I have to keep turning over.

sounds like costochondritis
I was diagnosed with chostrochondritis in 2008 when I was rail thin and feeling chest pains at my son's baseball game. So mum rushed me to hospital and they took me straight back ahead of everyone already waiting. I also have a heart murmur but nothing major. They performed an EKG and different tests but didn't find a big problem.
You may want to see your G.P. and tell what you have been experiencing because you need to rule out any heart defects and such. Don't put this off if it keeps happening or feel embarrassed telling the doctor everything.

Stop watching those infomercials.

uh....wat informercials? Trust me, this aint a question i got from seein somethin on TV.

Alot of people always tryna diagnose themself with a problem becuz of so much resources these days, the internet, all that where people tend to have a minor thing happen and be like OMG, maybe its (fil in some kind of disease here) and they go crazy lookin up symptoms on the internet, etc.

I really, really aint on of those people, please just take my word for that.

I just wanted to ask in this thread since this is really turnin into a problem for me.

I cant even carry my purse on my left shoulder without gettin that chest pain and heavy feeling these days. (And my purse got like, a phone, a wallet, and my keys in it, its really small and aint heavy at all.) the feeling is so strong that it makes me a lil bit worried. Its hard to explain how heavy the feeling is , like theres somethin squeezing REALLY hard on my heart.

It aint some kind of paranoid hypochondriac thing where all a sudden i felt a little pain a few days ago and was like OMG, Im sick! Or saw some shit on tv and be like, shit, i have that!

Like i said in the OP, i been gettin this for about 4 yrs now and it been gettin worse over time so i was wonderin if anybody had any ideas thats all. I never thought it was much of anything til now when it been more common and more painful .

Like carbon unit said...i just feel like the blood is like gettin stuck in there, obviously thats silly and it is prolly goin thru just fine, but the feeling of heavyness, like the blood is like collecting there and weighting down in my chest, its just mad uncomfortable and makes me wonder.
rollin over onto my right side aint that easy, it still hurts for hours later, and all i gotta do is lay on my left side for a few minutes before it starts to hurt. and thats the only thing that causes it, is weight bein on my left side, whether its layin there or carrying somethin on my left shoulder. Its mad weird. I aint tryna be paranoid, and Im the type that I mostly just ignore shit and dont pay it no mind, the opposite of a hypochondriac. but this shit really got me thinkin.

If you're feeling pain each time you lie on your left side, this would trouble me as well. Especially you mentioned it's getting worse over time. See your physician and see what he thinks about this.

Although, if something is paining you, there's a good chance that some sort of real damage is occurring.